Politics

"We've always made it a point not to be a political band. I don't write political lyrics, I don't get up on stage and make speeches because I think music should be a beautiful escape for anybody, regardless of their politics. [but] If I can't afford health insurance and rent, I'm gonna be too busy thinking about that to meander on my couch all day, playing guitar and writing songs, I try to make my life and my music into as much of a fantasy as possible, but if I don't try and help the real world, I'm not gonna have a fantasy world to come back to."
- Jim James
(Exclaim! interview, October 2004)

My Morning Jacket has stated several times that they're not, like Patrick Hallahan said in a 2008 interview, a political band, as a rule. However they do occasionally get involved in certain political issues, such as health care or immigration laws and the band has promoted local events or organizations that they find important numerous times.

Health Care (year)

Arizona SB 1070 (2010)

We’re not usually a political band, as a rule – we kind of like to be the vacation away from most people’s troubles.

Patrick Hallahan

November 2008



"I’ve never wanted to be a real preachy kind of person or ram things down people’s throats, because I think people are pretty smart. At the same time, if we’re lucky enough to make a living from our music and have people listen, I’ll do everything I can to use music to help inform people about important events or organizations in their community that they can help"

Jim James
(October 2009)