The cape

Jim James and the cape at The Pemberton Festival 2008, photo by nrtphotos

Jim James has been known to wear a red and navy blue cape, usually while performing, but on other occasions as well, for example during the 2009 Grammy Awards. James also wore the cape during My Morning Jacket's Black Cab Sessions performance.

My Morning Jacket, The Grammy Awards, 2009, photo from TV guide

Interviewer: I will start with asking about the cape
Jim James: Mhm
Interviewer: Who in particular inspired the cape?
Jim James: I just found the cape, there's a, uhm, big old weird antique store in Louisville and I just saw it there hanging on the rack and put it on and it just felt great. Felt like my magic feather or whatever. So it's an old nurse's cape from the 30's, so maybe a nurse inspired it
Interviewer: Red and black is that the colors?
Jim James: Red and navy blue
Interviewer: Navy blue?
Jim James: Yeah
Interviewer: Awesome, and have you ever had like, is it like you tell us man, have you ever had bad luck when you haven't used it?
Jim James: No, 'cause a couple of times I forgot. I don't like to about objects in that way, like Dumbo and his magic feather kind of deal, where it kinda helps you but you really don't need it
Interviewer: One day you're gonna lose it and someone's gonna say; it wasn't the cape all along, it was just you Jim James
Jim James: (laughter) Exactly
(Radio interview)