Bo Koster

Bo Koster, Boing Boing video 2011
"On the stage it's pure kind of just emotion and just letting it go, it's fun to build the house, but it's also fun to... knock it down"
- Bo Koster
(Making of Evil Urges documentary, May 2008)


Bo Koster originally from Cleveland, Ohio is the keyboardist of the band, he also does percussions and vocals.

Nicknames: Baby Cookies (Twitter), DJ Juice (Twitter), Christopher B. Honey (EU), Bart Koosler (Z)
Instruments: Keyboard, percussion
Social media: WorldBoFree (Twitter)
Just one more thing: Bo loves basketball

"I like being the keyboardist. It's a cool role, because you can be a color guy by adding some frosting on top of the cake, but you can also be part of the drum and bass section. I secretly wish I was a drummer or a bass player. Sometimes I really wish I could jump around and be mobile too and lose my mind a little bit more."
- Bo Koster
(Rotoworld interview, February 2009)

Influences
Favorite bands
In an Rotoworld interview Koster talks about his favorite bands, explaining that he kind of considers himself to be a jack-of-all-trades, master of none. However he goes on to list a few names including Henry Mancini, Allen Toussaint and Animal Collective. He also mention some of the first records he connected to as a teenager.
"Keith Jarrett, "Koln concert", Genesis, "Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" from the Peter Gabriel era, and Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" were some of the first records I really connected to when I was 13 or 14. I grew up listening to a lot of the typical classic rock stuff, and then I got heavily into jazz and soul music in high school. There was a moment there where I listened to Miles, Coltrane, Bill Evans, and Keith Jarrett almost exclusively."
- Bo Koster
(Rotoworld interview, February 2009)

Favorite bands to tour with
When asked, in a Rotoworld interview, about his favorite bands to tour with Koster names M. Ward, Dr. Dog, Everest, and Andrew Bird. He also talk about playing It Makes No Difference and A Quick One While He's Away with Eddie Vedder.
"The Pearl Jam guys really know how to treat an opening act. Ed would come out and sing with us to encourage people to arrive early to see us. That's a really generous thing to do and really sweet, and it meant a lot to us. Opening for Neil Young was mind-blowing. Watching Neil play music and channel that energy never gets old. I could probably watch Neil play every day for the rest of my life and never get bored."
- Bo Koster
(Rotoworld interview, February 2009)


Other musical projects

Other appearances
November 22, 2009 - Bo Koster and the rest of My Morning Jacket played themselves in an episode of American Dad entitled My Morning Straitjacket.

Mentioned



Bo Koster photo by 5500