Exclaim! interview (2001)


My Morning Jacket in Doornroosje, Nijmegen, The Netherlands 2000, photo by Riny van Eijk

In June 2001 Exclaim! published a questionnaire with Jim James, unknown interviewer, original interview can be found here.

Keywords: Jim James

Current fixations:

"Bag Lady" by Erykah Badu. Jimmy Rodgers the Singing Cowboy. Outkast.

Mind-altering work of art:

Amsterdam, Holland.

Most memorable or inspirational gig and why?

When we played at the Monte in Antwerp, Belguim, I played "Easy" by the Commodores and the crowd sang the "Ahh ahh ahh ahh" part. They sounded like fucking angels. It made my head want to explode with the life. They were so nice and gentle and their voices really did a number on me.

What has been your career high and low?

I think every time I pick up the guitar and play with the boys it is a fucking blessing. Every time someone tells me that they enjoy my music and that it means something, to me I have accomplished my mission. I try not to think about the lows. The highs make them disappear.

What should everyone shut up about?

Shitty music.

I would drop everything to play a benefit for:

Juvenile diabetes / cancer.

What trait do you like and dislike most about yourself?

My face.

What would make you kick someone out of your band and/or bed, and have you?

People change. Everyone knows that. I think when you and someone else get to the point that you cannot function together any more, it's time to move on. It's nothing personal. I have parted ways with many people who used to be good friends and it hurts. But life is just a never-ending series of moving on, rebuilding and destroying.

When I think of Canada I think:

About Terrance and Phillip.

What is your vital daily ritual?

Exercising my body and mind. Mmmm… bodies.

How do you spoil yourself?

I wrap myself in tinfoil and sprinkle powdered sugar and lemon juice on myself, then I get 50 of my closest friends and do the same to them. We all get in a big plastic bag and pretend we are lemon drop candies. Then one person is the "eater" and he or she "eats" every last one of us.

What was your most memorable day job?

I've had so many fucking day jobs, I can't remember half of them, but definitely Heine Bros. Coffee in Louisville, KY. I fucking love that place. It's like a big living breathing soap opera. It's fucking beautiful.

If I wasn't playing music I would be:

A garbage man, just like my cousin Johnny Quaid.

What is your greatest fear?

Watching "American Beauty" by myself. When the ending comes on after he is shot, it's so beautiful it hurts. It feels good to have someone there. I've never had to watch it alone – that scares me.

If you had a superpower, what would it be?

Invisibility.

What makes you want to take it off and get it on?

The Rev. Al Green's "I'm So Tired of Being Alone" and "Do Right Woman," the Flying Burrito Bros's version.

Music and sex: Is there a difference? Why?

No, the only difference is penises and guitars. Unless you are a drummer.

Strangest brush with celebrity:

Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum.

Who would be your ideal dinner guest, living or dead, and what would you serve them?

Shannon Hoon from Blind Melon. He seemed like such a beautiful person, and he had probably one of the most amazing voices I have ever heard. He always makes me cry. When he died, no one gave a shit. I loved Kurt Cobain, but I think Shannon had more talent in his pinky, but no one declared him a martyr. Strange how that works.

What does your mom wish you were doing instead?

My mom is fucking awesome and totally supportive. I think she is happy with what I'm doing. But if I was a baseball player, I might have more money, but maybe more problems as well.