VH1 Storytellers

“Storytellers” taping the next night — a sure sign that you’ve officially moved into the ranks of bona fide rock stardom, right?
“I don’t know about that,” says James, “We were kinda surprised they asked us, but we are excited. I’m also a little scared because I have no idea what I’m gonna say about our songs. I hate talking, actually. Also, I kind of deal in these abstract shapes and concepts that I really want people to be able to interpret in their own way. Sometimes I finish a song and I’m not even exactly sure what it’s about … so, this will be interesting. I guess we’ll just show up and play songs and I’ll surprise myself with whatever happens to come out of my mouth.”


Interviewer: How do you decide which songs make it onto an album?
Carl Broemel: Making the two last records has been really interesting, because even if your first inclination is kind of like 'yeah that's not going to make the record', a lot of times it does and you're like'that's my favorite song now'.
Jim James: Usually they have to save 'em from me, usually I'm like 'I don't like this anymore, I want to get rid of it' and they're like 'Well keep thinking about it, give it some time'. They'll keep recommending it, like 'Why don't we do this song?' and I'm like 'I hate song' and then eventually, a couple of months later, I'll hear the song again and I will be 'Oh let's play this song!' and they're like 'I've been saying that for the last, you know, couple of years.


Interviewer: