The gear

Jim James
"I would have to say that it is a tie between my Takamine G332 acoustic guitar and my Gibson Flying V. My parents gave me the Takamine for Christmas when I was around 12, and I've written so much stuff on it. It is really magic for me, it is the sound of love and familiarity. The Flying V rocks like no other guitar I've ever held. Sometimes it rocks so hard, I can't even bear to play it and I want to lay down and sleep. Sometimes, if I haven't played loud or live in awhile, and I strap on the V, I feel like I have a machine gun or a sledgehammer in my hand and nothing can stand in my way."
 - Jim James
(Guitar Center, March 2007)
"I’m deep in the studio in Bangladesh, in the throes of working on my latest raga. I need something new, some new sort of drone or sustain, and someone hands me the freeze. I capture the sound of a kitten mewing outside of the studio and sustain it indefinitely with the freeze pedal-perfection! I can now raga for hours, or until the end of time- as my freeze pedal will allow me to fuck with the space-time continuum any way I choose. Thanks EH!"
 - Jim James, talking about the Electro-Harmonix Freeze Sound Retainer
(Electro-Harmonix, May 2011)


Tom Blankenship

Patrick Hallahan

Carl Broemel
 My black 1988 Les Paul Standard is definitely the most special guitar in my collection. I've been playing it for 14 years, and have replaced the tuners, frets, pickups and pots, and eventually added a Bigsby (so I could pretend to be in Crazy Horse). I guess I've just played it so much, and used it to record so often, it's become the main thing that makes me sound like me. I once watched in shock as it flew out of my friend Mike's pickup truck and landed neck first on Indiana Highway 37. Hard. But somehow, Ol' Blacky lives to tell the tale.
 - Carl Broemel
(Guitar Center, March 2007)



Omnichord