Evil Urges

Evil Urges is the first track on 2008 album Evil Urges.

Lyrics from CD booklet
What is what? Man they got us so scared
Thinkin we so evil way down under there
Ooh! I made a nasty decision! To love whoever I want, just a whenever I can

The things they say are evil urges baby they be - part of the human way
It ain't evil baby if it ain't hurting anybody
Evil urges baby they be-part of of the human way
It ain't evil baby if it ain't hurtin anybody

If its all the same we're tired of waiting come on then
And dedicate your love to any woman or man
No racial boundary lines, no social subdivisions
If you want it- you can!

I'm not saying I'm not saying that I want it "someday"
I'm not saying I'm not saying that I want it "somehow"
I'm not saying I'm not saying that I want it "someday," "somehow..."
Ooh! I'm ready for it now!

The things they say are evil urges baby they're part of human way
It ain't evil baby if it ain't hurting anybody...
Evil urges baby, maybe good and bad - its all the same?
It ain't evil baby if it ain't hurting anybody, anybody

Length of album version: 5:11
Written by: Jim James ("breakdown" of Evil Urges written by My Morning Jacket)
Also appears on: CelebraciĆ³n de la Ciudad Natal (2009)

Studio Notes
“For ‘Evil Urges’ I borrowed Jim [James’] Ovation 12-string electric. It’s like the Preacher model, but with 12 strings. It’s a particularly loud, trebly and evil-sounding guitar. I liked the way the12-string sounded on the intro chords, so I used it through the whole song. This went through a Square Fish Electronics compressor, an Ibanez Tube Screamer, a SIB Mr. Echo (for the end section), a Z.Vex Super Hard-On pedal, into an Orange Rockerverb 50 2x12-inch combo amp and a ‘70s Peavey Vegas solid-state amp with a 15-inch speaker. Both of these amps were able to be loud and really clean, while not sounding too nice. Somehow this combination sounded both really good and really bad at the same time, which I liked.”
- Carl Broemel, talking about his gear choice
(EQ Magazine extra, November 2008)

Band quotes
"I think that was one of the most fun to write because it started out as two riffs. Like that intro riff with the bubbling roads and stuff and then the kind of big chorus part. Those were just two riffs that Jim had and he wanted to fit them together. I think it was the first song that we worked on and it was kind of nice because we were all starting from scratch. It wasn’t a demo that we had previously or something that we were familiar with. So it was a nice ice-breaker. And it was one that we spent the entire month in Colorado last year rehearsing. Every day we would play that song. So every day it really went through a lot of changes and was probably the most collaborative thing that we’d done."
- Tom Blankenship, talking about Evil Urges (the song)
(The Aquarian Weekly interview, June 2008)

No comments:

Post a Comment