Lollapalooza (2007)

"We rehearsed yesterday and it’s going to be awesome, We’ve got a whole theme going. I think people will be surprised."
- Jim James, backstage at Lollapalooza
(Chicago Tribune, August 2007)



Jim James and Bo Koster at Lollapalooza, photo by Boys Last Shot

Lollapalooza is an annual music festival held in Chicago, Illinois (since 2005).

On Sunday the 5th of August 2007 My Morning Jacket played on the Bud Light Stage at Lollapalooza.

Not just any suits, mind you. Browsing at a thrift store, James came up on five vintage eggplant-shade tuxedos. The CYSO, in turn, sought out similarly colored scrubs, and together they look like Barney Goes to Woodstock. James welcomes the entire orchestra into a massive huddle, a MMJ pre-performance ritual. He whispers a few inaudible words that get everone fired up, the circle breaks with new energy, and the masses begin to mobilize.
http://www.magnetmagazine.com/2007/09/01/my-morning-jacket-line-of-duty/



Clip of What A Wonderful Man He Was, My Morning Jacket at Lollapalooza


Jim James also performed a solo on the Kidz Stage on the 4th.

"I don’t know if [organizers] expected me to get all the kids jumping, but that’s really not my style."
- Jim James, backstage at Lollapalooza
(Chicago Tribune, August 2007)