The Sound

My Morning Jacket at The Capitol Theatre, Port Chester, NY, December 2012
“I just realized a long time ago: anything that you do, somebody’s gonna like it and somebody’s gonna hate it. And it doesn’t matter who you are. If you’re Bob Dylan or you’re just starting out, somebody’s gonna like it and somebody’s gonna hate it. So knowing that kind of liberates you to just say, “Fuck it. I’m just gonna do this, it’s gonna be fun, and hopefully more people will like it than hate it.”
- Jim James
(Vanity Fair interview, May 2009)

2010
"The last few albums, we've really tried to carve out space by taking out sounds that don't need to be there all the time," Hallahan says. "So when those sounds do come in, they sound a lot bigger. It's an ongoing study in trying to master the creation of space between instruments. It comes from miking strategies we use. If we're trying to create a big spacious sound, we'll mike more of the room. If it's tighter or more microscopic, a tighter miking style is used for that."
- Patrick Hallahan
(News Observer interview, April 2010)

2009
“I’ve always wanted the music — the rhythms, the strings, the guitar solos, everything — to be just as important as the words. I’ve never wanted one thing to be the most important ingredient. I like to think of the band as something that’s not really about any one person or any one thing. It’s just this weird cloud that is all-encompassing in terms of what we all do to it.”
- Jim James
March 2009

2008
 "I think we're getting that comment a lot, because we're definitely practising a less-is-more mantra, and I think that that creates more space for individual instruments to shine, whereas having everybody play at once, that doesn't sound clean at all.... We're really trying to create musical space between tracks as opposed to cramming it with sound all the time."
 - Patrick Hallahan, when asked if the band wanted to make the sound more refined and cleaner
(The Star interview, June 2008)

2004
"We've got a good sound now, but it's always going to keep changing. And I want it to keep changing. I love making music; I love how it feels to sit there with a guitar. I'm lucky enough to be able to do this now and I'm going to try to do it for as long as I can. But in this weird life, you just never know what's going to happen and that's what makes life just so very exciting."
- Jim James
(The Independent interview, February 2004)

2001
"I love big, huge open sounds, such as vocals cut far away from the mic in a big room (i.e. Exile on Main Street ), and also huge drum sounds (i.e. Led Zeppelin). I just love atmosphere. I love hearing the rooms where the songs were recorded, chairs creaking, crickets and the like. (...) It feels like love and rhymes with childbirth. I think Darla’s music is all based loosely around the same beautiful feelings of pleasure and color. There is a black vibe that runs through it all, but it is also so very colorful."
- Jim James
(Philadelphia Citypaper interview, June 2001)



Obviously, the reverb— especially on the vocals and drums. I think those sounds are kind of a signature. You always know it’s My Morning Jacket when you hear the drums start. Songwriting-wise we’ll always be all over the map but production wise there’s always little hints of what came before, a My Morning Jacket vein that runs through everything.

- Tom Blankenship