Librarian

Librarian is the 8th track off 2008 album Evil Urges.

Lyrics from CD booklet
Walk across the courtyard, towards the library
I can hear the insects buzz and the leaves 'neath my feet...

Ramble up the stairwell, into the hall of books...
Since we got the interweb these hardly get used

Duck into the men's room... coming thru my hair
When God gave us mirrors he had no idea...

Looking for a lesson in the periodicals...
There I spy you listening to the AM radio

Karen of the carpenters - singing in the rain
Another lovely victim of the mirror's evil way

It's not like you're not trying, with a pencil in your hair
To defy the beauty the good lord put in there...

Simple little bookworm - buried underneath...
Is the sexiest librarian... take off those glasses and let down your hair for me

So I watch you thru the bookcase - imagining a scene:
You and I at dinner, spending time, then to sleep

And what then would I say to you - lying there in bed?
These words with a kiss, I would plant in your head:

"What is it inside our heads that makes us do the opposite?
Makes us do the opposite of what's right for us?
Cause everything be grrreat... and everything'd be good...
If everybody gave, like everybody could."

Sweetest little bookworm, hidden underneath...
Is the sexiest librarian
Take off those glasses and let down your hair for me
Take off those glasses and let down your hair for me

Simple little beauty - heaven in your breath
The simplest of pleasures, the world at it's best

Length of album version: 4:16
Written by: Jim James
Also appears on: CelebraciĆ³n de la Ciudad Natal (2009)

Studio notes
“I played my Carter 12-string pedal steel through the Fulltone Tube Tape Echo into the Carr Viceroy and my Peavey Vegas. The Peavey is the classic steel guitar amp: solid state, loud, clean and honky. The Carr gives the steel some smoothness, and roundness.”
- Carl Broemel, talking about his gear choice
(EQ Magazine extra, November 2008)

Band quotes
In a Blurt Online interview made in 2008 Jim James explained that Librarian stems from his bad habit of falling in love but not doing anything about it (BO).
"I’m a shy guy, and I happen to be single at the moment, so if I see somebody I’m attracted to, it’ll become a fantasy for me to wonder what it would be like to have a real relationship with them."
- Jim James, talking about Librarian
(Dallas News, August 2008)
"Yeah, [laughs] we’ve really cornered the huge market on librarian lust."
- Jim James, about the statement that other bands fantasize about groupies or strippers, rather than women with degrees in library science
(Dallas News, August 2008)