Beards and mustaches

"I don’t really care what people think of about our music. The thing I really want them to remember is that we were hairy. That’s why we started this gangsta’ shit in the first place."
- Jim James, when asked by the American Mustache Institute how he wants people to think of MMJ stylistically?
(American Mustache interview, August 2008)

Jim James at Newport Folk Festival 2008, photo by wfuv
Scott Carney: You were recently overheard saying that every man looks his best in his God-given beard. What if that man was a woman?
Jim James: I think it can apply to women, too. Sometimes, dudes that are real svelte and good-looking kind of look like women anyway. So I think they look more attractive, too. Most women can’t grow the beard that they wish they could.
Scott Carney: I’ve known some, too. That really had a better beard than most of my friends.
Jim James: You bringing yours out?
Scott Carney: I am currently working on my My Morning Jacket memorial beard. Hopefully it will be ready by Thanksgiving. We’ll see.
(LEO weekly interview, November 2006)

From time to time the band has expressed frustration with the media's focus on their physical appearance, mainly their beards/mustaches and/or long hair. Interview where the subject has been discussed includes

To be continued