This is not America


On February 20th 2000 Duch TV channel VPRO TV aired a TV documentary about My Morning Jacket called This is NOT America. The documentary follows the band during their short tour in Holland late January 2000, it includes interviews, acoustic tracks and footage from the live show at Rotown, Rotterdam.

Title: This is not America
Running time: approx. 40 minutes
Can be downloaded: here.

- I Will Be There When You Die (Radio Rijnmond)
- Old Sept Blues (live)
- Rocket Man ("De Avonden" session, January 26)
- Tyrone (live Erykah Badu cover)
- Strangulation ("Club Lek" live, January 26)
- Lil Billy (live)
- I Think I'm Going To Hell (acoustic)
- War Begun (live)
- I Will Be There When You Die (acoustic)

Except for I Think I'm Going To Hell none of the songs are featured in full length.
"The Dutch documentary was very eye-opening. It felt really weird to be looked at and probed by the public for the first time, but the Dutch are very friendly and kind people. They did a wonderful job and we love them dearly. They were the first group of people to really make us feel like what we were doing was really listenable; you know what I mean? It felt so good to actually know that maybe we could make this thing work, that maybe one day our dreams of changing rock for the better might come true. It made us want to work harder and try, I know that. (...) I doubt it will be available. I'm very proud of it but I feel that we were very young and naïve when it was made and since we've added and changed members, it's not very relevant. But it was very well done, so I don't mind people seeing it."
- Jim James
(Pitchfork interview, August 2002)